Thursday, November 17, 2011

Who do you stand for?

I've been thinking a lot about my Mammaw Jeanne lately.  I know that her time on this earth is short and I have been reflecting back on some of my times with her.  One of the stories she told me many times was about before she met my Papaw Jim.  She said she decided at a young age that she would NEVER marry a preacher.  Her grandmother would tell her that she would marry who ever God chose for her.  After my grandparents met and were engaged,  Mammaw  was quick to point out that she had married a Navy man.......NOT a preacher!  Then the day came that Papaw came home and announced to my Mammaw that God had called him to be a preacher!  My Mammaw would be laughing by this part of the story.  She would tell me, “don't ever tell God what you will or won't do”.

She was always the first person I would call with news, good or bad.  She would either celebrate with me or  just listen and then reassure me that God was in control.  Even though we couldn't see the BIG picture, it would all work out to His Glory!  I would leave our conversations feeling strong, like I could overcome anything with His help.  I know that she spent many days and nights praying for me when I did stray from His plan for my life.  She told me later that she always had faith that I would straighten up and come back to where He wanted me.

I know He holds my future in His hands.  During this Thanksgiving season I am thankful for the positive Godly influences He has placed in my life.  My Mammaw and Papaw are at the top  of that list.  My Papaw went on to his reward a few years ago and I find comfort in knowing that Mammaw will be joining him soon.

I think that one of the best things you can leave on this earth is people that you have helped along the way through the way you live your life.  I am but one that my Mammaw and Papaw were used by God to help mold into what God wants me to be.

My desire for myself and you is that people see God through our actions and not just our words.  I want others to know Who I stand for without having to know who I am.

Love, Julie Powell

1 comment:

  1. Just got around to reading this, I agree w/you totally!!! Hope you'all have a Marry Christmas!!!! Keith G.

    ReplyDelete