Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Drawing Near To Him


“He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; 
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.” - Psalms 46:10 (NIV)

“As the deer pants for streams of water, 
so my soul pants for you, my God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. 
When can I go and meet with God?” - Psalms 42:1-2 (NIV)

As long as I can remember I have always had a place where I would go and “meet” God.  A special place where I would take my bible and journal, later my guitar would join the mix and I would go and be still and be with my God.  Just a girl and her God.  

When I lived in New Hampshire it was the beach in Maine, the drive alone, about an hour; would just get me in a place of quiet. Of peace.  I would shut out the world and its distractions and sit on the beach and listen to the wind and the waves and the still small voice that would minister to my soul. 

When I lived in Utah, there were two places I would go, one was a Monastery where the Monks would make and sell jam and you could go and listen to their prayer time.  Something about being there just brought a settling peace around you, you just had to be quiet there, not because of some arbitrary rule but because you knew you where in the presence of God.  Then there was the amazing scenic overlook that looked across the Weber mountains, a 360 degree view of the beauty only a truly loving Father could paint for His children to enjoy.

A few weeks ago in church we had a message about prayer and listening to that still small voice, and as a congregation we all were silent, and not the kind of silent where you think about where you are going for lunch after service but the kind where you know - you expect God to speak to you.  
I think that as a people we generally don’t take that time to listen to actually be still.  Completely still.  And listen.  To shut off our inner voice, our inner grocery and to do list that we are constantly making and to be still.  And expect God to speak to us. 

“But as for me, it is good to be near God...” Psalms 73:28 (NIV)

For me, when I haven’t been taking the time to “Be still” and listen to what God has to say, what direction He has to give, it will come when I have just drifted off to sleep, that time where you aren’t fully awake and aren’t fully asleep (where Peter Pan lives).  That is when I have just finished thanking Him for the day, and praying for peaceful sleep where He comes close and whispers in my ear all that He has for me.  

Psalms is full to overflowing of all the ways and times that God is near to us, how He will save us, defeat our enemies, tear down strong holds and will save us from destruction, and will guide our path, carry us through and sustain us.  And all we need to do is to draw near to Him. 

Sarah MS

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Sarah...loved this post. So glad you have joined in and are writing. It's nice to have your perspective. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Shayne. Super glad you have decided to share and write for us the things that are on your heart. I enjoyed every bit of it. I could read your writings all day. There's just something about them that grabs your attention and makes you read. And I normally don't like to read. Look forward to seeing more from you! Great job!

    ReplyDelete