Saturday, March 24, 2012

Prayer....

A few months back we started a season of intense prayer in our church body.  During a corporate time of prayer, our Pastor was calling out needs and having people come forward for prayer.  The typical needs such as healing, finances, unsaved loved were all mentioned.  The time was beautiful.  The Spirit moved and many received a touch from God.  Being a bit cynical I wondered how many received answers to the prayer and how many left with the same need they came in with.

 As I sat and prayed, I realized that some had been praying for these same things for a prolonged period of time.  This included us.  We have been believing for a home and some property to sell for several years.  We had gone back and forth with contracts and offers only to have them fall apart.   We knew that God had a plan for us but as with most of us we wanted this done now instead of  later.

I had been asking for these things with such a burden, but my lack of understanding was keeping me from seeing outside of my situation.  I prayed, I wept, why doesn’t the body receive more answers to prayer.  I realize that need is a strong motivator to spend time with God.  There must be more than just this.  Where is the faith, where is knowledge of God’s way. What is the missing factor?  Christians have been taught how to pray to get what we need or have we?

I told God that if there were more prayers answered people would be more willing to follow Him.  If it were just quicker people would be more inclined to talk to him.  In my impatience I just came out and asked, why does  it takes so long to get prayers answered?  I should have known better.

As He started my education that day, I knew that I had missed the point of what was going on.  I do not know if I can get this across like He did but we will  see.  Prayer was never designed to be a wish list that we give over and over until we get what we are wanting or think we want.  God’s desire is the same as it was in Adam’s time.  God had come to walk with Adam in the Garden.  He longed for an intimate time with man.  To hear what man thought and to discuss what He had planned for man.

God longs to answer prayer.  He wants to give to His Children, but He also knows what we truly need. For God shall supply all our needs according to His riches in glory.  Unfortunately needs are much different than wants.  What are the true motives for your prayers?

God has a plan for each of us from the beginning of time.  The Bible says that He has known you from the very beginning, from your mother’s womb.   He knows how this all plays out.  He knows what will happen and how to get us to the place we need to be for His glory.  His design is that we are to be His arms on this earth. He is able to use your situation to work His will.  Your money problems are not a problem to Him.  Your money problems may be to teach you better responsibility or maybe just a chance for someone to learn that it is better to give than receive. Do we want to be used by God or just get what we want?  God’s love for us is unending.  Christ died because of God’s love of mankind.  God’s desire is for us to learn to be like Christ. Seeking what is best for the Body of Christ and not always what best for us. 

Last but not least.  Rejoice.  The body needs to be grateful.  In America, we have so much, but many want more.  I myself have said  “our two vehicles have over 100,00 miles”.  We then proceed to pray for a new car.   God said where is the gratitude for having two cars? Where is the rejoicing that they start and get you back and forth. Be thankful that when something happens they can be repaired.  What about those who have no car?   Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice.  We have so much to rejoice about.  Gratitude produces joy for both the giver and receiver. 

Next time you spend time in prayer let us consider the following.  God loves us, His plan is to use us and give us His very best.  What we are going through is no surprise to Him.  He wants to know how we feel but also wants to share with you what He wants to do with your circumstance.  He wants to bless others through you as well as bless you.  You may be the only one who can reach one of the lost by what you are dealing with.  Most important is rejoice.  He has given so much to us. Let our lives show Him gratitude for all we have as He works with us and through us.
Ladies, I hope you enjoy this post...I cannot take any credit for it....my husband wrote this the other night & I felt it was too good not to share.    Mary Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment